Environmental Vision 2021 is the long-term environmental management vision of the Mitsubishi Electric Group. With the guideline of making positive contributions to the earth and its people through technology and action, the Company is working toward the realization of a sustainable society utilizing wide-ranging and sophisticated technologies as well as the promotion of proactive and ongoing actions by our employees. The Vision sets 2021 as its target year, coinciding with the 100th anniversary of Mitsubishi Electric's founding.
Creating a Low-Carbon Society
To help create a low-carbon society, we will:
- Work to create and popularize innovative energy-saving products to achieve the goal of reducing CO2 emissions from product usage by 30% compared to fiscal 2001
- Strive to reduce CO2 emissions from product production by 30% (520,000 tons) across the entire Mitsubishi Electric Group as a prerequisite for sustainable growth
- Reduce CO2 emissions from power generation and contribute to the creation of a low-carbon society by supplying the power industry with products and systems that do not emit CO2, including solar power and nuclear power systems
Creating a Recycling-Based Society
To help create a recycling-based society, we will:
- Develop sustainable resource cycles by reducing waste output, reusing resources and recycling resources to give them new life
- Strive for zero waste output from production processes
Respecting Biodiversity: Ensuring Harmony with Nature and Fostering Environmental Awareness
To help ensure harmony with nature and cultivate greater environmental awareness, we will:
- Strive to respect biodiversity in our business activities
- Teach employees the importance of maintaining harmony with nature by providing opportunities for nature observation and direct participation in conservation activities to inculcate autonomous actions for the sake of the environment
- Engage in nature conservation activities to restore damaged woodland environments
Efforts Focused on the creation of a Low-Carbon Society
Aiming to Reduce CO2 Emissions from Product Usage by 30%
Contributing to the creation of a low-carbon society through the provision of a wide variety of energy-saving products.
Aiming to Reduce Total CO2 Emissions from Production by 30%
Raising the efficiency and performance of air conditioning, lighting and other utility equipment, as well as improving production lines to reduce the amount of CO2 emitted during production and contributing to the creation of a low-carbon society.
- * Mitsubishi Electric envisaged a fiscal 2021 total CO2 emissions target of 830,000 tons based on a CO2 emissions intensity of 0.33kg-CO2/kWh at the time its Environmental Vision 2021 was formulated. Taking into consideration changing electric power circumstances in Japan, total emissions were converted using an intensity of 0.42 at the time the 7th Environmental Plan was put in place. Under the framework of the 7th Environmental Plan, this also brings the target to 980,000 tons in the final fiscal year (2020).
Helping to Reduce CO2 Emissions from Power Generation
We will help reduce CO2 emissions from power generation and contribute to the creation of a low-carbon society by supplying the power industry with products and systems that do not emit CO2, including photovoltaic power and nuclear power systems.
Initiatives to Help Create a Recycling-Based Society
Making Use of DfE and LCA Technologies to Promote the 3Rs
Creating products that contribute to the 3Rs (reduce, reuse and recycle) throughout the product lifecycle.
Zero Emissions (Eliminating Waste that Heads Directly to Landfill)
Restricting the generation of waste and promoting the efficient reuse and resource reconversion of waste.
Ensuring Harmony with Nature and Fostering Environmental Awareness
Mitsubishi Electric Outdoor Classroom and Leadership Training
We provide education for children and leadership training for 1,000 people in the promotion of nature observation and conservation.
Forest Cultivation Activities and "Satoyama" Woodland Preservation Project
Forest cultivation activities aid in the creation of a low-carbon society, protects against natural disasters, and contributes to the preservation of biodiversity.
"Satoyama" Woodland Preservation Project involves local residents, employees, families, and nearly one million people from all over the world join forces to engage in this nature conservation activity.