Message from the Group President
Contribute to Solving Diversifying Social Issues by Creating New Businesses that Transcend Existing Frameworks
Senior Vice President, Group President, Business Innovation
(As of July 1, 2021)
Business Innovation Group contributes to solving diversifying social issues faced by the sustainable society by turning themes that cannot be addressed by existing frameworks into businesses, and by supporting the integration of Group technologies and collaboration among the Group.
We will refocus on the company’s philosophy of "realizing a vibrant and sustainable society" as we search for new business domains in an era of high uncertainty, as the ways that people interact change, as the severity of disasters increases, and as the waves of digitalization accelerate. We are creating businesses in the five domains of "Smart Cities," "Healthtech," "i-Construction," "Disaster Prevention and Mitigation," and "Smart Mobility" as well as the "Decarbonized Society."
In creating and fostering new businesses, we will combine sensing technology, video analysis, AI, and other cutting-edge technologies in the integrated IoT ClariSense*, which will help customers realize digital transformations that create value for them from collected data.
- * ClariSense is a word coined by Mitsubishi Electric that means clarifying the hidden essence of information sensed from equipment to resolve challenges.
|Major social issues for which risks and opportunities have been recognized and evaluated||Priority SDG initiatives|
Initiatives that Contribute to Addressing Social Issues
Contributing to Increases in Productivity at Construction Sites with AI rebar arrangement inspection system
In the area of i-Construction, in February 2021, Mitsubishi Electric developed and launched AI rebar arrangement inspection system, which utilizes our proprietary AI technology Maisart®* to support inspection of the correct arrangement of rebars when constructing concrete structures.
The System instantly and automatically measures the number, diameters (thicknesses), and spacing of from images taken by a device equipped with a stereo camera, reducing the time and effort required to perform rebars inspections. With this system, one person can measure and inspect rebars, whereas conventionally such inspections require many people. By reducing the amount of labor required and improving the efficiency of rebar inspections, the System helps solve the problem posed by the decreasing number of workers and improves productivity at construction sites.
- * Maisart is an abbreviation of Mitsubishi Electric's AI creates the State-of-the-ART in technology. Mitsubishi Electric’s AI technology brand that aims to make all devices smarter.
(Above) Conventional inspection of rebars
(Below) Inspection of rebars with the System
Inspection conducted using AI rebar arrangement inspection system
Study and Implementation of Healthtech for the Elderly
As the birthrate declines and the population ages, there is growing demand for elderly services that ensure safety and privacy while also being attentive and accommodating of individual needs. Meanwhile, labor shortages are a serious concern in the field, and providing services that are individually tailored and satisfying for all parties is difficult.
Given these circumstances, Mitsubishi Electric is considering the development of a Healthtech business for the elderly that combines IoT, sensors, AI, and other technologies with the knowledge we have gained from our existing elderly service businesses, such as our serviced senior housing business developed by group companies.
We aim to enrich lives in an aging society by promoting the Healthtech business through the joint development of sensing devices achieved by investment in start-up companies and data linkage in the cloud.
Monitoring service for the elderly
- President's message
- Sustainability at Mitsubishi Electric
- Mitsubishi Electric's business segments
- Initiatives that contribute to addressing social issues
- Public utility systems group
- Energy & industrial systems group
- Building systems group
- Electronic systems group
- Living environment & digital media equipment group
- Factory automation systems group
- Automotive equipment group
- Semiconductor & device group
- Information systems & network service group
- Business innovation group
- Sustainability management
- Initiatives to create value
- Initiatives to address the SDGs
- Communication with stakeholders
- Initiatives related to the value chain
- Philanthropic activities
- About the report
- Guideline comparison tables
- ESG survey index
- Sustainability sitemap